6.07.2012

You win some, you lose some

I guess no matter where you go there will be things you really love about a place, and then some things that just make you want to scream why.

For instance, I love so many things about my home state of Indiana. My family and friends, the country back roads, the small but progressive downtown of Indy, Indians games, sunsets over cornfields, blah blah blah. But I never fail to question all things good when it is 98 degrees and 99.9% humidity.

Enter Cape Cod. I was initially enamored with the landscape. I am used to one thing, and one thing only. Flat expanses of crops/grass/trees. But out here, you have green hills and rugged rock jetties and ocean. Just so much to look at.

And then there was the weather. Average summer highs are upper 70s, lower 80s from what I've found. That is without the awful humidity I'm accustomed to, so it's even better. Sure, it has been kind "cold" by summer standards lately, but as I'm told, "that's just springtime on the Cape." And I tell you, that is just fine with me.

Then there is the certain charm of all the little villages of Cape Cod, with adorable little shops that will keep you entertained for the good part of the afternoon. The quaintness almost borders on annoying, but not quite.

So what could possibly wrong?

Well, when you're a night person like me, it's the matter of boredom. Everything closes ridiculously early out here. And I think this statement is highlighted best by one fact: bars close at 1 a.m. Now, I'm not one big for going out, but I come from a place where bars are open until at least 3 a.m. But if the official nightlife is closing down that early, I figure you get the picture about how early everything else is closed. 

Come on Cape League baseball. Your beginning will be the one thing to save my evenings!

No comments:

Post a Comment