8.03.2012

Work, work, work...where's the 'play?'

Let's be honest, it's not all sights and cider across the pond right now. At least, not for me.

I'm not off in England for three weeks on vacation, soaking up the sights and blowing money on the cute little shops that line literally every street. Really, this is where money comes to die. Of course, I have to reign mine in from the ledge and only let it slip away when it's something pertinent to my survival. Until my last few days, maybe. Then I'll make it my goal to get all British pounds out of my possession. That's an OK plan, right?

Anyways, I digress.

I am finishing up my second of three rotations in England, and I still have so much sightseeing I want have to do. Our graphics team has just been working so hard. When we're in Worcester, we're up in Flat 7 working on graphics. When we're in London, we invade the basement of Starbucks (or Flat 1) and work on graphics. We don't even get much sleep.

To an extent, this is an impressive display of dedication. On the other hand, it is frustrating. Because we seem to be letting our balance of work and play shift toward work. A lot. Think an 80/20 ratio.

And for it being our first trip to London for the majority of us, it's sometimes hard to be OK with how little time we are allowing ourselves to explore this amazing, foreign city. Or even just relax.

There are so many times that I am so burnt out that I don't even want to go out and wander, but rather curl up with some tea and scones reading 'Pride and Prejudice.' And, yes, I do realize just how English that sounds. It's called embracing the culture, mmkay?

But we push on. Because we know that this experience is one beyond any we may ever get in the future. Greater than many others will ever get the chance to have.

And that is something to be grateful for.

I constantly remind myself that I can come back in the future to see London. The chance of me immersing myself in the media workings of the Olympic Games in a foreign city, again? Slim to none.

So I'm just trying to make the most of what time I do have to be a tourist. Tomorrow evening, I'm on a bus back to Worcester for a few days. But I'm going to start my morning at 7 a.m. to hit up an Olympic event. Then I'm going to wander down to the river, past St. Paul's Cathedral and down to see Big Ben and Westminster. Then I'm going to hop the Tube back to King's Cross to get my picture at Platform 9 3/4. Because, let's be honest. You just can not come to London and not get that picture.

Yes. I'm going to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment